My idea of the media industry is something that is powerfull it controls everything. If a politician wants to run for something they will need the media to express there veiws and gain a following. If a budding music artist would like to share there music they would need the media to share there music. It affects us all all the time even if we dont realize it.
The Media controls us all regardless of what we do. What you watch on the TV, listen on the Radio or see on the internet dictates what you may believe, wear or even the friends you hang around with. This shows us that the Media is the backbone of the society influencing everybody. Within the lesson we learned how differently the media can be presented to us but it showed that it was 4 main formats…
- Video: watching video gives the viewer a visual aid to what they are watching or experiencing, this may be show in multiple ways and on many formats such as… Terrestrial TV, cable, internet, video games, motion picture, mobile phones and other devices and trough disk.
- Audio: This gives the listener a insight trough sound by listening to different things such as audio adverts or music this is shown in many formats such as… AM-FM radio, DAB/HD radio, podcasts, mobile phone and other devices, disk, internet.
- Graphics and text: These are mainly used for advertising in the real world may it be by billboard or newspaper.
- Film: film is shown trough motion picture with many different genres that appeal to everyone.
In the UK broadcast industry these things are broadcasted over three main mediums.
Radio, different shows going on all the time with there own unique charm appealing to there niche market. Commercial radio can be broadcasted on a local, regional, national and international scale with radio shows such as Capital, local to birmingham or Radio 1 on a national scale broadcasting across the UK.
To find the perfect audience you must research everything our audience wants from a product. A preferred reading is something that a producer wants from the text (Tv, music etc…) that will appeal to there target audience. An alternative reading is something that may not work as well to an audience a producer isn’t trying to reach.
Now when a producer looks at the audience they can fall into many different categories….
Producers strive to create the perfect readings for each of the categories to create THE ULTIMATE PRODUCT to rule them all. Producers can also look at the Four quadrant audience graph which shows us the 4 main groups everyone fits into Kids, young adults, Parents and Grandparents.
Producers feel that if they can create a film that fits into all 4 of theses categories they will make a lot of money and a very good product. An example of this would be the 2008 musical film “Momma Mia”.
- The music appeals to kids as it is catchy and well known. The music used is from the group ABBA which is well known and they generated 9 UK No.1’s.
- The love interest between the newly weds generates interest with young adults as they can relate .
- And the love interest between the mother and three dads appeal towards Parents and Grandparents.
The Socio-Economic scale is the division of the classes it is based on what jobs people have and with each division come different unique products for that one class.
for example people of the D class would be more likely to buy tabloids like the sun and watch soaps on the television compared to someone maybe in A class would read the guardian and other broadsheets.
Psychographics is the study of personality, values, attitudes, interests, and lifestyles. Religion, fan base’s, interest and likes are all example of psychographics.
Geodemographics determines what products people buy depending on where they live.